4/16/08

Finally Aligned...

I learned quite a few tricks while working on this dress and so excited about starting another one, although I have yet to finish this one...lol

I was able to realign the stripes and must say the dress looks so much better. I removed the baste stitching between the bodice and waist and literally shifted the bodice and lined up the stripes of the waist and Presto... it worked. Also I was able to adjust the dress for a smaller size.
For the neckline, instead of going with the neck facing provided, I used Palmer/Pletsch's technique, by cutting strips of fabric on the bias, sewing them together and baste stitching the right sides of the dress neck line and the bias strip together and folding the other end inside of the neckline and baste stitched along the opening, which allowed me to sew, without warping it.

I'd mentioned in my previous post, that I did not want to use the pleated sleeves intended for the dress, well I ended up using the sleeves anyway, but with a lil twist. The sleeves for version B consist of 2 pieces, upper sleeve and under sleeve, well after some deep thinking I decided to just use the under sleeves for the dress. First I had to fix the armholes after I'd taken in the dress and proceeded to baste stitch the under sleeves as if they were regular sleeves along the armholes - tried it on and after getting a perfect fit, cut the excess fabric, now its just a matter of hemming them..lol
I was fretting over how to get a even hem, and browsed one of Thread's magazines and luckily came across the Send Us Your Tips Section and a reader noted that she uses tape as a guideline for getting an even hem. So I pulled out my trusty scotch tape and placed the tape along the right side of the dress hem, then folded the fabric to the wrong side of the dress and baste stitched it. Once I'd completed the baste stitching... I removed the tape, which was a PITA, because of the baste stitching, but tediously and finally I was able to remove all of it. (I definitely need to get my hands on some washaway tape for future hem projects). I tried on the dress for the hundredth time and so far the hem looks great. Time will tell once I actually sew it.
Pics to follow shortly.

14 comments:

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Sheila - that dress is AMAZING now that you have realigned the stripes!

Adrienne said...

Look at you!! It looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!

toya said...

girl,, your patience is very impressive, can't with to see how it looks on you

Angelia said...

Wow!!! That is one beautiful looking dress.. love the stripes.. the colors... the bias is a great expensive looking touch.
Wonderful job!!!

Cas... said...

Great job on the dress! I can't wait to see how you look with it on!

Lashell said...

The dress is beautiful. I can't wait see you where it.

Mary Sarah said...

It's great! I thought it looked good before!

Lesalicious said...

Looks LOVELY great job can't wait to see it on you. You have done great.:)

gold said...

Girl you did a great job!!I love that fabric!!Can't wait to see it on you!!

del said...

I love that dress! The fabric is kind of retro, just really cool. Great job.

Sheila said...

Thanks Everyone for the lovely compliments. I'm nearing the finish line and need to check out some cataloges for poses...lol.

Faye Lewis said...

Great match up!

k_purls2 said...

aligned stripes do make a difference. It's coming along nicely!

Pajnstl said...

I would have quit fussing with those stripes early on... lol It was worth the time you took to change it up though... b/c they look great.