My knitting mojo finally returned and I selected a vest pattern from IK Spring 2008 Issue, the Aleita Shell by Bonnie Marie Burns. I love wearing vests, its something about them that gives such a crisp look to a top & pant or top & skirt ensemble. They are great in that you can wear them into different seasons and works well alone or with other pieces. I'd envision sewing up a blouse to pair with the vest once it was completed. The pattern calls for Plymouth Linen Isle yarn, but I substituted the yarn, primarily due to wanting to use what was in my stash. I'd purchased a bag of 70% baby alpaca/30% cashmere over a year ago from Yarn Paradise, and decided it was time to use it and after getting the right gauge, dove right in. Honestly, I thought it would be finished in a timely manner while the temperature was still hoovering in the low 60's, but no. Why....... I ran out of yarn, I thought I had it all figured out. I was nearly 6-7" away from finishing when the unbelievable happened - not enough yarn to complete the project.......uggh
This was how far I got after working the garment in the round and dividing for the front & back.
Looked through my yarn stash in the hopes of finding a misplaced ball, but no luck... then the symptoms started shock, denial, and anger. After a good night's sleep, the next day, I went to Seaport yarn in a final attempt to find yarn that was at least close in fiber and color. Andrea at SY had suggested if I double Galler Prime Alpaca yarn it was the closest I was going to get and settled on that. Of course, some of the symptoms returned when she kindly pointed out that I needed to rip back to the row before the ribbing and also loud and clear pointed out my mistakes and more reason for me to rip back... (...eyebrowed was arched super high).
Later that day I attended the Seaport Yarn Knitting circle and sat among the lovely people as they talked and knit/crochet their projects while I sat there fighting with myself about how I could work the new yarn in without ripping back. Of course Andrea, made it a point to keep saying "She's Not Going To Rip Back"... at one point I was giving her that look... say it one more time and I will...... but then remembered earlier that she had offered to rip back for me and knowing that she was saying it in a helpful way. Also, I realized after listening to the others that if I were to pick-up where I left off, the new yarn would begin in a not so nice place. So I looked at a photo that I'd taken of my earlier progress and knew that it would be best to just rip back.
Went home and began the tedious task of ripping back and at the same time hearing Andrea's words... She's Not Going To Rip Back....which was sounding like chalk against a blackboard... and forced me to grab the scissors and cut the yarn something fierce. Despite the stabbing steeking I did, I didn't use a lifeline since the stitches were simple and did not have to worry about losing my place like I would if I was working a complicated chart.
I knew the sooner I rip back the sooner the words would stop ringing in my ears and sure enough it did. Here is the results from ripping back..... (sigh of relief..........)
This is where I am now after incorporating the new yarn which is a tad bit darker, but will do. Honestly, there is not much to see, but I was able to get some knitting done while attending the Long Island Knitting & Crochet Guild Outing at Eisenhower Park yesterday. Seriously... if I wasn't running my mouth and having such a good time I would have a considerable amount done. Now that the weather is warming up this project will be completed and saved for the fall. and after all has been said and done at least I ripped back... DO YOU HEAR that Andrea............lol