7/4/09

Butterick 5181


Another maxi-dress using Butterick 5181, Misses Dress with lined, close-fitting bodice and slightly flared skirt in three lengths, above mid-knee, lower calf or below ankle. The fabric is 100% cotton in black w/cream dots (from Walmart) and the midriff band is red polyester/cotton blend (from Fulton Fabrics).

I underlined the bodice with black polyester lining and the midriff with the same red fashion fabric. Serged all the seams and for the neckline and armholes folded to the wrong side and stitched twice. Noticing that the neck line was low, I sewed past the end mark for the neckline. Oh' how could I forget, in the process of sewing up the bodice & midriff I inadvertently sewed the back seam, thereby forgetting about the zipper (another episode of forgetting something!!! sheesh).

I considered removing the stitches, but in a heart beat decided to try it on and to my surprise I was able to get it over my head & my arms through and proceeded with the skirt portion. The back is a mirror image of the front, that I can't really tell the front from the back... (I need to stop watching tv while sewing and of course I do not have any more sewing labels...humbug, I'll eventually slap a crochet label in it...lol)

The skirt on the other hand was a total PITA... The skirt pieces included front panel cut on the fold and the back - cut in 2 pieces and each of the back pieces sewed to either side of the front panel. There was just way too much fabric, I thought my first dress had too much fabric, but this was extreme. I again avoided the gathering and removed an exorbitant amount of fabric from the skirt, not sure how much, but it was more than the first one.

Dress Issues:

Once I'd completed the dress, I noticed the armholes are too low and had to fumble around for the right bra that wouldn't show in the event I wanted to raise my hands in the air and shake 'em like I just don't care...lol

Another thing of note, I have crows feet along the upper part of either side of the bodice and thinking it may be due to sewing the lining and fashion fabric off kilter.

Lastly, in the process of shaving off massive skirt fabric I inadvertently tapered the skirt a tad too much, but able to walk without looking like I was ramrod straight...haha

The end result... after parading around in it like some sort of diva with its lil hiccups, the dress is wearable and it looks like I have hips....yeah. However it will become a short dress (with all the on and off again rain, if I happen to get caught in it and need to leap over a puddle in that dress it wouldn't be a pretty sight - so a short dress it will be).
Off to start another project with the TV turned OFFFFFF!!!.. lol

10 comments:

Angelia said...

I hate when an otherwise simple dress (or anything else!) becomes a PITA to make...
Its a cute dress though!

SEWING SHAY said...

Nice job Sheila! Happy 4th

Sew-Ann said...

Lol!! at the imagery of the puddle and the dress. It's cute but I can see what you mean about constriction when walking.

Michelle said...

I am glad to hear that other people make their projects more difficult, too! I do really like the red waist inset in that dress, though. For all the trouble it gave you, it really looks nice.

j.kaori said...

Love the maxi dress! Too bad it will be turned into a short dress -- I've been obsessed with maxi dresses this summer, but haven't made one yet! Love the red band --- makes the dress special.

Opal said...

You did a good job....simple but nice...

Tany said...

You're rocking those maxi-dresses!

Cas... said...

Cute dress!

Too bad it was a PITA!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

It may have given you issues when making it however end result- all your dresses look
wonderful on you :)

toy said...

I always say, the best thing is when you know what's wrong and how to fix it. Everytime I had an uncooperating pattern, I learnt something about sewing that I didn't know before.