New Look 6922 w/ New Look 6786
I finally finished my first official cardigan set using New Look 6922 and New Look 6786. As I'd mentioned in my previous post the style of the cardigan caught my eye, more particularly the shawl collar and belt elements.
The body of the cardigan went together easily until I became befuddled on how to attach the collar and facing to the jacket as one. The instructions indicate to pin collar to neck edge, then pin facing to front over collar, those instructions and the drawing caused me to mentally short circuit, because I couldn't wrap my mind around how to do it. In talking to my sewing buddy, she explained it wherein I was able to follow her instructions with successful results. The armhole stitches were ripped out and restitched due to drag lines along the sleeves, however after a second attempt the drag lines were still there but minimal.
I used a double knit fabric in a grey-lavender that I'd purchased from Walmart during a fabric shopping bonanza. The Jacket and Tank was a charm to wash... threw them into the machine and laid flat to dry. Here is a close-up of the flat-felled seam, which I did along the shoulder and side seams.
I didn't line the jacket, instead used biased tape to encase the neck and facing raw edges. I will note that after pressing the collar flat it had a tendency not to lay flat along the jacket opening. So I did a whip stitch between the facing and jacket catching the edges of the lapel up to the breast point to aid in keeping it flat.
In the back of my mind, I wish I had lined it, but only had red stretch satin, which wasn't enough for a lining. For the sleeve and jacket hem, I serged the edges and folded to the inside and final stitched, which really made me wish I'd lined it, I don't like the finished look of the hem.
To compliment the jacket I sewed a tank top from New Look 6786, using the remaining fashion fabric. The tank top went together effortlessly and was done in an hour. The only thing I deviated from was using interfacing for the front facing.