Last year I worked up New Look 6483 - version A and was totally disappointed in the outcome. The neckline was too high and imagined it being totally uncomfortable and marked the pattern with my letter grade of D-, a notation "neckline too high" and date.
Well last week I stopped at one of my favorite fabric spots, Sav-a-thon and had the pleasure of visiting at the right time. All of their remnant satin was on sale for $1.99/yd, I started to swoon over the assortment of rich and beautiful colors. Majority of the fabrics were in 2-3/yd increments, but found a few pieces that were 1-1/2/yds and immediately knew what the fabrics were destined for ... none other than sleeveless tanks and walked away happy with several yards in 7 different colors.
With my fabrics placed across my chaise, I thought about what tank patterns I had in my stash and began sifting through my patterns. I became alarmed as I continuously came across tank patterns that called for stretch fabric, so I dug a lil deeper, but in the back of my mind thinking I may have to make a run to W.almart or J.oanns for a tank pattern for wovens. Just when I was about to give up, lo & behold what did I find a tank pattern for wovens, but with notations on it. I took a closer look at the other versions and decided I would give it another try with Version D.
The pattern consist of tank tops with various necklines, and a cap sleeve top with bust darts and loop & button closure
Sizing: 6- 16, I did the size 16 for a 38 bust and although I am a 40, figured the top would have enough ease for a comfortable fit. The top ended up too big and removed 5/8" from the side seams.
As for the construction, the top was easy to assemble and really like the idea of the facing, which is a first time for me with a tank. Most of my tanks are knits and basically requires serging and folding to the inside. However, after completing the top I didn't care too much for the length of the facing which is right at my high bust. To ensure that the facing would not flip to the right side I did edge stitching.
While the first one was in the wash, I started on another one in black and mainly focused on tweaking the facing and shortening the bust darts. I lengthened the facing for a total of 7" which is sooo much better. The pattern calls for loop & button closure and seriously think it can be made as a pullover.
I wore the teal tank today (the photos make it look turquoise) and noticed that I should've taken in the side seams some more as well as the shoulder seams. However, I thought after machine washing it would shrink some, but I guess not enough. Also, I must say that this tank is somewhat boxy and for the others I plan on making I will add front darts & back darts for a fitted look.
Overall I really like the simplicity of the garment and its perfect for wearing with my suits, also it is comfortable and a staple for any wardrobe.
Until then.... keep on stitching.