2/15/2012

Still Wrapping It Up

I'd pinned this DVF Leather Wrap Dress on my Pinterest Dream Clozet board and vowed I would make a faux leather wrap dress. 

To capture some of the inspiration garment, I used my rtw wrap dress template and black faux leather that I'd purchased from walmart during my vacation in Columbia, S.C. last year. Since the template is for knit fabric I added 1/2" to the back bodice & 1/4" to the front bodice pieces, as well as lengthened the bodice 1" and lengthened the skirt 1-1/2".  I swapped out the short sleeves for the sleeves from Vogue 8151, which has become my TnT sleeve ... (is that such a thing).



I know its not wise to pin faux leather, but did not want to spend time fumbling with another alternative and went full throttle.  I just made sure to pin about 1/8" or so from the edge and serged the seams between 3/8" - 5/8".    Thinking that the fabric had a lot to do with it, the back along the waist seam was sitting away from my lower back and fixed that problem by using 1/2" clear elastic to gather the seam.  Being me and knowing that each time I wear the dress, I didn't want to see elastic, sewed 1/2" lace atop the elastic to conceal it.  (know I took a pic... just need to remember which camera I used & upload...uggh)





Pockets were also added using pockets from Butterick 5211.  To ensure proper placement of the pockets, I pinned the back bodice & back skirt pieces together and placed B5211 back dress pattern piece upon it to mark for pocket placement... worked like a charm.  I didn't have enough fabric to cut 4 pocket pieces from the faux leather and cut 2 pieces from the faux leather and 2 pieces from black stretch charmeuse fabric.  Each pocket is part faux leather & black stretch charmeuse ;)


Used the instructions from B5211 for sewing the pockets on.


Again, short on fabric, I had just enough left to cut facing for the neckline. Cut the facing on a diagonal 2" wide and long enough for the neckline, folded the facing in half and starting at the lower edge of one of the fronts, serged to the neckline, making sure to stretch the facing as I sewed. Then final stitched to tack down the serged seam allowance.


The edges of the front skirt panels were serged, folded to the inside & final stitched.  Then basted the overlay skirt to the under the skirt at the waist seam and final stitching both.   I also top stitched the lower edge of each bodice front down to the seam line. 
 

I went ahead and hemmed the dress while deciding on the sleeves.   I'd already cut the sleeves using the faux leather and also cut cuffs from the black stretch charmeuse fabric.   Now I'm thinking of reversing the order and cut the black stretch charmuese for the sleeves and faux leather for the cuffs (using fl sleeves to cut the cuffs).... I know confusing and indecisivness going on...


(also can't find the pic of the belt on the dress.. sheesh)


So far loving the dress and just need to get my mind right for the sleeves.


Until then.... have a Great Week.

 






13 comments:

Adelaide B said...

I can't wait to see this finished!

Cennetta said...

Watch out, Mama! It going to be a bad a** dress!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

So far, so good!

Faye Lewis said...

Looks like you are on the right track. I'm loving it.

L said...

Can. Not. Wait!

Mary said...

My mouth is hanging open a bit. That is going to be HOT.

velosewer said...

This is already stunning.

Dei said...

Aw watch out now. Girl that is gonna be a fierce dress.

Opal said...

It's looking good... Can't wait until it's finished.

MAD14kt said...

Sheila Baby, there you go showing off again :)

Sue said...

Wow!

Sister said...

No, no, Sheila! Don't leave me hanging - let's see the dress ON! It's gonna be awesome...I can't wait!

GodsgirlT said...

Okay....that's hot! I'm impressed...just "pin" it and make it...that's how you do that! Nice work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...