On the sewing front and over the last week and up to this weekend I have been doing some random sewing. Sewing with no real plan, just sewing whatever grabbed my fancy. First up...
McCalls 6559: Close fitting, unlined jacket in 2 lengths with front extending into single layer tie. Pullover dress with various views.
After reading various pattern reviews with great results, I decided to join in on the instant gratification and did View C. The instructions were easy to follow, with 2 pieces I couldn't go wrong, using a poly-lycra knit that I'd purchased from Silk Roads Fabrics. When I tissue fit the dress I initially thought the neckline was perfect, but once it was constructed I had cleavageville and ended up taking 1" in the shoulder seams. The pattern runs big and could stand removing another 1/4"+ from the side seams. All of the seams were serged as well as the neckline, armholes & hemline, folded to the wrong side and final stitched. End result.... instant gratification, comfortable and perfect for warm weather.
Again influenced by the various posts on peplum tops, found Butterick 5709 in my pattern stash.
Description: Pullover tops with elasticized waist, sleeve & neckline variations with a centered pleat . Did View A.
The first one, used an embroidered cotton blend, did 3/4" FBA. However, I had to turn around and remove too much ease from the side seams as well as some of the volume from the peplum skirt.. Opted out of the elastic waist and casing and instead just sewed the peplum skirt to the bodice. I made bias trim for the neckline and sleeve hem, but after sewing on the trim for the neckline, wasn't too thrilled about the end result and serged the sleeve hems & the hemline, folded to the inside & final stitched instead. Although I like the extended sleeve I wasn't too happy that the sleeve edges has a lil flip going on.
The second take, I used a printed poly that I purchased from Fulton Fabrics last year. This one is my favorite and left a tad bit of volume in the peplum skirt. The center pleat on the peplum skirt is lost in a sea of print but, up close & personal its a cute detail. Used the same finishing as the first one. This top is so cute and will definitely make it again.
Last of my random sewing is McCalls 6109: Mid-knee length sleeveless dresses with midriff and pocket variations.
I did version A using a printed(teal/blk/cream) cotton lycra/poly knit from Jay's Fabrics. I didn't follow the instructions wherein it has one sew up the side seams prior to attaching the midriff bands and skirt. Leaving the side seams open and proceeding with attaching midriff band to the bodice then attaching skirt to midriff, sewing up the side seams was a beautiful thing. Ooops almost forgot... omitted the pockets too.
However, looking at the pic, I could've raised the armhole some more. The drape neck is cut low, but with a full slip adorned with sexy lace at the bodice will definitely solve cleavageville. Warning, the skirt requires a lot of gathering, but prior to cutting the fabric I modified the skirt by removing 2" from the front & back skirt pieces for a total of 4"... wowzer. The dress will be perfect for work and looking forward to making it again with a lil more tweaking... (raising the armholes possibly 1/4" more).
Off to think about what fabric to use for my second take on McCalls 6109.... until then
Have a Great Weekend.