2/2/14

Tale of Two Dresses

.... as always.... in a state of creative spazz, I decided to frankenpattern two patterns.....

... which I previously modified herehere & here, wherein I used the lining
 pieces instead of the actual dress pattern pieces and posted about here.



I wanted a drop waist dress and Burda 7014 was perfect because it would allow me to use a knit fabric.  However, I wasn't fond of the bodice and since Butterick 5672 bodice was modified and ready to be used again, hence the frankenpattern came into play.

All was in place, fabric (blk/taupe printed cotton/spandex for the bodice and blk pleather for the skirt band)... Check... pattern pieces traced off as best I know how with adjustments.... check


The construction begins, darts are in place, seam skirt band sewn to bodice and ready for pressing.

Front and back are attached. oooh I am sailing along all smooth.

While the dress waited to be lined, I pinned the skirt band to the bodice pattern to make the lining, using a bridal stretch satin.

Once the lining was inserted into the dress, I proceeded on with the sleeves.  Again all is sailing smoothly. All that remained was hemming sleeves, lining  & dress.  Revisited it the following week and completed the hemming and all that was left were photos and ready to be worn to work. Happy as can be and did a happy dance.  Couldn't find the right time to take pics and decided I would have them taken at work and also noticed that I needed to sew in a small piece of elastic to denote the front from the back.... check.

The nite before the dress was to be worn, decided to try on a blazer or two to determine which color I would wear it with... and.. . the horror began... sigh.

Immediately noticed drag lines running rampant along the neckline... wtf*ck... noooooooooooo what could possibly have gone wrong.  With two weeks gone by, thought hard as to when was the last time I tried the dress on and remembered after I hemmed it and recalling all was fine.

At that point all I wanted was a tranquilizer to calm my racing nerves.  Eventually calmed down and decided sleep was the perfect remedy.  The next morning before heading off to work, I side eyed the dress on the mannequin and thought it has to be the lining.  Darn, just maybe the lining is too heavy and boldly cut the lining from the dress... better although a dragline are two remained. I also noticed the skirt band was looking weird and boldly decided enough of this pleather shenanigans and cut that off.

Basically all was left was the bodice of the dress and thought it would make for a cute top.  Phase two of my creative spazz involved adding several rows of lingerie lace, a row of laser cut pleather and a band of black elastic, splicing the neckline to create a v-neck.  Tried the top on and decided a top would not do and using the little remnant of the cotton/spandex fabric, cut a new skirt band and as I attached it to the bodice repeatedly said to myself make this work... make this work...lol

Feeling all was right with the world again and this morning decided hell or high waters pics will be taken. Well... well.... well as I gave the dress a quick press, what did I notice... that lil elastic was sewn to the front inside of the dress... well I be dayumm. 





It's not what you think... they're acorns...

Pic of the dress worn backwards or is it frontward.. 






Did I learn anything from the Tale of Two Dresses... yes, creative spazzing is what I do and most importantly.. check twice before sewing a tag in.

Until then have an Awesome Week.

19 comments:

alethia said...

Sheila you are fearless and amazing. You look fabulous! Reading this post I could not help but hear your voice. You know I am hollering over here.
In the words of Tim Gunn "make it work".

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Hey you made it work and that's the important thing! The final dress is lovely and I like it with the jacket.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Helluva save, but ARGH - I feel your pain! Love your expression in the first pic...

Sheila said...

Thank you Alethia. My sewing is more insane than creative.

Sheila said...

Thank you Carolyn. Turned the garment wrong side out & about to iron and the bust darts and tag were staring me in the face.... I was dumb struck.

Sheila said...

Thanks Sister. That expression was saying how in the hell did that happen.

L said...

Great save on the dress! I like the final version even better.

Sheila said...

Thank you L. With all the shenanigans its comfortable and work worthy.

Shelly said...

After all that went wrong you certainly saved the dress - it looks fabulous! The jacket looks great with it too.

Omega said...

This was a great save, creative spazzing works, lol.
It turned out awesome, love it with the blazer too.

Lori said...

Such a fabulous dress, great job combining two dresses and being so creative.

Sheila said...

Thank you Shelly. The jacket is from chadwick, purchased several jackets during their after the holiday sale.

Sheila said...

Thank you Omega. The shoulder seams are a bit puckery, but giving it a lil extra pressing should help.

Sheila said...

Thank you Lori.

Opal said...

You are so good at saving a project when it doesn't work out the way you. This was a good one. I love the waist details.

Sheila said...

Thank you Opal.

priest of love said...

I like the top and adding the scarf giving it a cowl neck look is perfect. I love your Barbie's dress.
Meditation
priest of love

Brenda said...

This dress is amazing, Sheila! Great save. You've got me lmao reading this post!!!

Sheila said...

Thank you.