Simply Eclectic or Art Nouveau
I came across this fabric at Walmart and couldn't leave it behind, especially for $2.00/yd, the various prints in the fabric is so eye catching. Instead of working on the next item on my sewing list, I decided to work this polyester/lycra fabric up using New Look 6863, thinking it would be an easy project since I'd used the pattern recently. Also the fabric kept calling me...lol
For the most part the dress portion went together easily. The pattern calls for cutting the front and back on the fold, but with the prints I had to do a center back seam to ensure some continuity of the different prints. What I will say is the front/back neckband gave me hell. Once I'd sewn the ends of the neckbands together and attached to the dress neckline the problems began. First, I realized that I wanted the neckbands to be solid and used the solid brown portion from fabric remnant. But the neckband wouldn't lay flat and puckered badly and had to remove it. Then I used 1/4" clear elastic, thinking a gathered neckline would work.... Ummmm Nope... had to rip that out. Finally with no more fashion fabric left for the neckbands, I settled on a stable knit fabric in a deep brown and thank goodness it laid flat and didn't pucker badly.