The Last of Simiplicity 2850
Hoping all had a beautiful Thanksgiving.
I've completed my final top for the Month of Tops and like to give a big Thank You to Faye for hosting a great sew along. Also, would like to give a shout-out to all the ladies that participated and created beautiful garments. This sew along allowed me to create tops that added some pop to my wardrobe - and I mean POP by going with vibrant prints that I can use in my wardrobe repertoire.
The fabric is another poly/lycra from Walmart @ $2.00/yd during one of my shopping excursions. The print is interesting and reminds me of an asian inspired print. I did the same pattern alterations as the others, but there was some repeated positioning to get the print on the sleeve and body of the blouse to line up... think its close enough.
With 3 days remaining, I would like to get started on a coat. I made a coat this Spring, but the warmer temps came fast and wasn't able to get a good wear out of it. However, with the Fall temps I have been wearing the dickins' out the coat, which I used upholstery fabric in a rust color. I did not do any underlining to add warmth and used a polyester lining, so it works well for now. The fabric is washing machine friendly and does not wrinkle and no sign of shrinkage. So another coat is in order.
I visited Sav-a-thon who was hosting a sale on faux fur and selected a Wheat colored faux fur with 80/20% Acrylic/Modacrylica with a short pile, minimal one-way stretch and soft. The top fabric is Sandstone in color and a textured polyester blend used for curtains, which I'll be used as an underlining. Since the faux fur has one-way stretch, I will use the stretch vertically and hope that issues will not crop up wherein hindsight I should be using an underling with the same characteristics.
My next fabric trip was to Fulton fabrics where they had a new selection of upholstery fabrics. There were 8 different colors to chose from and I purchased a deep seaform fabric with a very tight stitch, and smooth to the touch on the fashion fabric side. The underside has some type of weaved backing with a coating and to soften the underside I tossed it in the washing machine on a cold setting and tumbled dry. As for shrinkage, I started out with 2-1/2 yds and after washing & drying, ended with 2-3/8 yds.
Here is a pic of the fabrics after washing & drying... used a lot of fabric softner.
Little if any wrinkling.
I explained to the clerk that I wanted some type of windbreak lining and he suggested using - as he like to call it umbrella fabric, I like to call it shower curtain fabric. Very smooth and subtle, but with some type of coating on the back. I washed it together with the fabric pictured above and ended up with the same shrinkage of 2-3/8 yds. The fabrics that I will be using for underlining salvage edge reads PKaufman - Flame Retardant....umm good to know.
Purchased the same fabric as above but in a Wine color and coordinating fabric for underlining. I still need to find buttons and lining.