However, I have fallen in love with the Peter Pan collar which is popular with the school uniform shirts supposedly giving the sense of eternal youthfulness…. umm yeah. Now that I’m a full fledge adult, I can forget about that eternal youthfulness but the adaptation of the peter pan collar offers a classic and simple look. Now that I think about it… Peter’s shirt collar was the standard point collar.. so it makes me wonder where the term Peter Pan collar originated… ummm.
After making this jacket and loving the collar, I knew I wanted another one. In an attempt to give B5147 a reprieve, I used Butterick 5235 See & Sew, which has a peter pan collar. I'd cut this pattern a little over a month ago, along with a skirt and pants to make a suit, well I finally got around to sewing the jacket.
Butterick 5235 Jacket has front and back darts, collar and three-quarter length sleeves.
I used a teal/blue/gray polyester cotton which during the construction process was full of love & hate. When I purchased the fabric I remember the color being a blue/teal, however, the fabric was purchased last year at Wal.mart and it could've been the lighting. I tried the jacket on several times in different lighting and in certain lighting it looks like a prison gray, another it looks blue/gray and sunlight closer to a teal/blue/gray.....go figure. Regardless of the color issues, the fabric is a charm to work with and a detour from knits... for now that its.
Sewing this jacket is part of my 2010 Goals, which is to sew suits. Being an avid lover of suits and haven't purchased a suit in over a year - can I say I am fiending for a new suit. Yeah, I know I made a suit with the V. Wang Charcoal Plaid, but I want short sleeve jackets.
Although I've made jackets prior to this one - I can't bag a lining to save my life (I would spend an exorhibtant amount of time playing mobius - turning the garment in and out through that itty-bitty sleeve opening and not progressing). In the end I'd wind up doing some foolery to get the lining inserted and incurring other obstacles (prime example of foolery - the lining was too short and had to add lace to lengthen it). Despite all the foolery, luckily the garments have been wearable, but knowing I need to get a better handle on it.
Oook... I've totally detoured...where was I... oh yeah... Peter Pan....
I worked on this jacket all week, paying careful attention to the lining insertion instructions. The lining for this jacket is done via the armhole rather than bagging thru a tiny hole, albeit still entails pulling the garment through a hole, but a bigger hole nonetheless.
I pinked all the seams allowances and to keep them flat stitched over each side.
Most of my garments have double stitching which you can see along the back seam. I noticed some of my suits have double stitching, but not sure if it serves the same purpose as mine since the garment is lined.
Here is the lining minus the sleeves... look - the lining was long enough this time... yippeee.. Note to self... remove baste stitching from lining pleat
The pattern instructs to attach fabric sleeve prior to attaching the lining sleeve. After attaching fabric sleeve, I turn the garment inside out through the opening between the sleeve and back lining... yeah it sounds convoluted but it worked. Once its turned to the wrong side I then attached the lining sleeve...
The process was easier for me but I ended up busting a stupid move... look closely at the sleeve the fold of the lining is the wrong way. It should've been folded towards the inside abuttng the fold of the fabric sleeve which would've only required one line of stitching to attach both, but since I'd used double-sided adhesive tape (a PITA to remove from lining fabric) I had to stitch the lining fold, then handstitched linining sleeve to fabric .... yeah typical foolery moment. Another note to self remove baste stitching from lining pleat.
A closer look at the sleeve...
A few of my Loft suits have subtle decorative stitching and thought I'd try my hand at it... decorative stitching along the collar, sleeve and front.
Umm yeah, I'm starting to see eternal youtfulness with all the decorative stitching...lol
I still need to add the buttons and wanted your opinion about these... which were considered prior to the decorative stitching..
Pre-dec stitch phase.. bland wouldn't you say...
For now the jacket has been washed and some ironing, but decided to leave it alone for now and start working on the skirt....
Until then have a beautiful Sunday..