Remake of a Vacation Dress & a Wadder
Last Thursday I spent the evening taking apart the dress and decided that it would be my weekend venture. After work Friday, I took my usual nap and woke up around 11:30pm and proceeded to remake my vacation dress.
I straight stitched each seam, setting my machine at 2.5 and then serged and thereafter stitched over the serged edges to keep them flat. Prior to dismantling the dress I looked at the seams closely and noticed that the dress was just serged, hence the raveled and open seams. The hemline and sleeve hem was also serged and final stitched. The facing which is also the waist ties went effortlessly, however I did use 1/4 elastic along the neckline as I sewed.
What I particularly liked about this dress, compared to my other
At one point I considered leaving the sleeves off, but pushed on and added them...
I should call this dress my 5 hour dress, in sewing time I started on the dress at 12:00am and finished it around 5:00am. Honestly I spent the last hour prancing around in it as daylight broke through and to the sound of the birds chirping...lol
Retired to bed for the morning and before going to sleep decided another wrap dress was needed and remembered a dress I saw during my people watching mode on Friday. I'd spotted a woman wearing an orange sweater knit dress.. it was along the sheath dress design line, simple but oh so pretty.
I used a poly/cotton sweater knit that I'd purchased from PA Fabric Outlet during the PR Philly weekend... ask me what in the fragglenaggle was I thinking.
After the glue partially cured it allowed me to join the edges of each piece without using pins, then straight stitched using a short stitch length, thereafter I serged/cut off the sticky edges... oh how I thought I was on to something. I stabilized all the seams with no-tear stabilizer. After reading Linda's post some time back about using stabilizer for her buttonholes, I've since opted to use no-tear stabilizer as interfacing for some of my garments. Thanks Linda... love it.
Used the same technique as I did with the facing/ties for the first dress and thereafter all went down hill. Tried it on and it was a total hot mess... total wonky neckline.. no sense in adding the sleeve... I tell ya a hot mess.
The neckline wobbled something bad.... real bad and you can see the clear elastic glistening through the fabric....uggh. HATE IT.... a Total Wadder!!!
A glimpse of the wadderville dress.... when unwrapped... woke up this morning thinking that possibly something could be done to save it... but no.... garbage heaven it went.
With all that said... I will avoid sweater knit for now.... and enjoy this dress...