Finally S2700 w/ B5235
The last garment to my 3 piece suit, I guess the appropriate name would be the Summer Suit, the jacket was made in June, the skirt in July and finally the pants in August. The biggest hang-up that was keeping me from sewing the pants sooner was the fly front zipper insertion. Every time I thought about sewing Simplicity 2700 I would get nervous about the zipper application, yeah... I’ve made pants in the past, but they were elastic waist and the 3 other pairs that had zippers did not have the best zipper insertion, so they don't count.
Finally, last week I decided it was do or die and began working on my pants realizing the best way to tweak S2700 was to use existing pants that fit perfectly. For years I have had a hard time finding pants to fit my body, especially having a short torso, short crotch depth, narrow hips and a flat booty until The Loft introduced pants that fit various body shapes and I was in total heaven. I love their Marisa style, which is a wide leg silhouette and sits low on the waist, but at $79.00 a pop, I knew it was time to grasp the handles and make my own. With that I combed my closest and came across pants that I’d purchased 2 years ago from there, but never wore (the fit was perfect, but realized the Capri style worked against my height and totally forgot to return them.] I took the task of tedioulsy taking them apart and placed the disassembled Loft pants against the pattern pieces amd tweaked the pattern according to my rtw pants.
Simplicity 2700 is a trouser style pattern with back darts, side pockets, bootleg cut and a wide waistband. I love trouser style pants and like the idea of Simplicity offering different body type styles and after measuring myself as best I could, I decided the slim closely represented my body type. I must say by offering different body type styles, it minimized my fitting issues, in that it was a matter of removing a few inches from the waist length, tweaking the crotch according to my rtw pants and removing excess fabric from the back yoke, which I did after the pants was assembled since I was unable to foresee it.
As I'd predicted the fly front zipper application put me in a state of befuddlement, my brain couldn’t process the instructions. Thereafter I reviewed several DvDs from my reference stash that entailed zipper applications without success. Most of the tutorials involved zipper insertions wherein the fly front is part of the pants front which left me still wondering how to attach the fly front and zipper shield. I continued searching the web and finally found http://cyberseams.com/. Their tutorial was a tremendous help in showing me how to insert the fly front zipper & shield. Once the the fly front, zipper and shield were inserted the pants came together quickly, I think even more so because I omitted the pockets. I really wanted to focus on the zipper insertion and didn't want to spend time fussing with pockets. Also I didn't use bias trim for the inside waistband and thinking for the next pair I will give it a try and lil tweaking of the waistband, I found it to be a tad bit too wide for my short torso.
Ok... what else can I say about this pattern... there are 19 reviews on patternreview.com, I will be making another pants pronto, I love my pants, and thinking this pattern could become a TnT.
Here are pics of the suit in its entirety....
S2700 w/ B5235, finally the start of a cool morning.
S2700 minus the Jacket after about 7 hours of wear.
B5235 w/ M3830 that day it was extremely hot and I was so tired.... I could barely stand long enough to take a pic.
B5235 w/ rtw garments, I was totally feeling the jacket... it is the perfect topper for any rtw garment.
Conclusion: B5235, M3830 & S2700 are perfect pieces to create a workable ensemble for work or play.