The Unethical Dress
This is my second dress for the Stitch Up A Dress Challenge hosted by Faye. I revisited Butterick 5147, which I have made several times (version C) (2/10, 3/10, 3/10, 4/10, 8/10), but this time around I faced some obstacles. The obstacles were two parts, SWS (sewing while sleepy) and the fact that I only removed the pattern pieces and started cutting and sewing up the fabric outright and never looked at the instructions which had my modification notes on them.
I used a yellow floral cotton blend fabric that I purchased from Bridge Street Fabrics some time ago.
Tried the dress on and the neckline was droopy in the front and standing away from my neck in the back... what the fasneezy!!!. It didn't help that I had just awaken from a long nap and still groggy, I just knew I was imagining the wonkiness and thinking mmmm maybe a bra would help. Tried it on again... umm nerp wonkiness still there. Also, the armhole was showing armpit cleavage... aww dayumm.. what is going on.
Assembled the dress and the lining and without thinking proceeded to attach the lining to the dress without trying it on prior to the lining installation. I guess in hindsight & sleepliness, thought why bother I made the dress several times, what could go wrong... right.
Well I knew one thing for sure, I wasn't removing that darn lining, mind you the zipper was in and the lining was hand stitched to the zipper as well. Oh hells to the naw... no can do buddy, I wasn't ripping out one stitch. Mind you still didn't think to look at the instructions...0_o, honestly, at this point it was too late.
My mind went into unethical mode, dart this situation with a quickness. I added darts to the front ... umm yeah definite designer element and sleeves from Butterick 5313 to eradicate the armpit cleavage.
Added darts to the back shoulder
Glimpse of the inside with darts added
Yes, all is better now, albeit the unethicalness of the situation... The dress fits better along the neckline and did a final edge stitch to aid in keeping the darts flat.
To finish off the dress I added 7/8" navy blue bias trim to the hemline and presto... Love It!!! This is my idea of a summer dress.
I have another dress cut, but not sure I will be able to finish it by the deadline. Father's day is this coming weekend and need to get the menfolk gifts completed. They have been asking for lounge shorts since the warm weather has gone into effect and need to get started on them.
Faye Thank You for another Awesome challenge and looking forward to the next challenge.
Until then..... Everyone Have a Fabulous Week....