Butterick 5606 Samurai...mmmm
Staying true to my game, I purchased the double sided black fabric and worked up Butterick 5606 in the original version.
Pattern Description: Pullover dress with close-fitting bodice, slightly flared skirt, ties extending from sides seams and can be worn foreward or backwards. The front neckline has a slightly V-shape and the back neckline is rounded.
As with my 1st & 2nd B5606s, the dress went together easily. However, I have not finished the neckline, armholes & hem. I wanted to construct the main part of the dress to get a feel of how it looks on and how the ties work sewn into the side seam.
I am glad I purchased 2.5 yards, I made the belt longer. Also I did not remove the excess from the side seams, figuring the ease was necessary to better facilitate the wrapping of the ties.
It so hard to photograph black... so I lightened all the pics.
Tried it on and mmmmm.... not too keen on the batwings on the sides. Also, since I lengthened the ties I could darn near jump rope... ok... overkill. Tried the diferent variations and I felt like I was doing a Samurai dance... ok... double overkill.
Conclusion, I am not feeling the original version. It could be operator error... So most likely tonight I will remove the
samurai ties, take out the excess from the side seams, shorten the ties and make into an independent sash.
I really like my first two dresses... truly I do.
Oh well, I gave it a try, but it just didn't work for me. I will say the back was the only part that look good.
There is another pattern similar to this one McCalls 6353 and will take a closer look at that one.
However, I can see making a few more like my first version of B5606... definitely a few more.
Until the next time... All have a Great Week.