Simplicity 4025 w/ McCalls 3830
Thanks for the lovely compliments on my Vera Wang Chartreuse skirt.
As for my Burda 8281 houndstooth skirt fiasco, that skirt has been trashed. However I was able to make another McCalls 3830 from the remnant and with that out of the way I quickly moved onto another project.
Enter, Simplicity 4025 using gifted faux shearling fabric from Cennetta of Mahogany Stylist. I swooned and gushed over her faux leather shearling that she made last year and she surprised me last Xmas with an awesome package containing black/grey faux shearling fabric.
Thanks Again Cennetta !!!
Misses jacket with collar variation and hat
Never having worked with faux shearling, Cennetta informed how a simple constructed garment would work best, which would avoid one having to deal with thick seams. She also informed me that a teflon foot would work best and that she used a leather needle.
With her pearls of wisdom, I did Version D in a medium, cut the pattern and tissue fit, small along the neckline, keeping the medium @ the armscye as well as the cap of the sleeve, but trimmed for a small along the sleeve and cut a small for the collar.
With that out of the way, I went through the whole song and dance of looking for my teflon foot and a leather needle only to remember after 20 minutes, my Singer heavy duty machine.... Duh!
I must admit this machine hasn't been used for over a year and had to reacquaint myself with its working. A 1/2 hour later after looking for the manual, finding the proper foot, (wondering why it wasn't working only to realize I was using the wrong foot pedal), the correct bobbin (this baby prefer metal bobbins only) and testing a swatch, I was ready to roll.
Attach back to fronts, then attach collar... talk about easy construction... easy peasy.
I double stitched all the seams and then trimmed down seam allowances. Retired for the nite.
This morning I was ready to continue and edged stitched along all the edges. How easy is that, no lining to deal with.
Then proceeded with the sleeves, pinned, baste stitched to check fit and moved on and double stitched the sleeves in. Version D has cuff bands, but opted out of it because I lengthened the sleeves.
Then it came to an abrupt stop, I needed pockets and had to mull over how to proceed with incorporating pockets, only Version A has pockets.
Checked a few sites for a refresher course on doing welt pockets, although I knew doing full fledge welt pockets would not be practical.
Enter the unethical pockets.... lol... did some measuring and with my heart palpitating, I cut into the front panels.
Used the pocket pattern for Version A, modified shape, pinned to the front to determine placement and placed pockets on the underside and marked.
With my favorite drug of choice while sewing, steam-a-seamed the edges of the slits to the underside.
fused pockets to the underside
Stitched along the pockets from the underside
For closures, I used Dritz size 10 sew-on snaps and
end result a cozy coat..
Hope to have pics soon...
Have a Great Weekend.