Bringing in 2014 w/ Modified Butterick 5672
First, I would like to Thank All of YOU for another great year and continuing to take the time to visit my blog over the last 8 years...woo... that is a long time of faithful, inspiring & caring friends. I have met so many beautiful people and have become very close to several and it continues to amaze me how the friendship just keeps growing year after year. I love the sharing of sewing & crafting, learning, shopping excursions, telephone sewing and well you get the drift....lol. I am so looking forward to 2014 of the same & more...so Thank You for the Love.
I ended 2013 with finishing two more dresses using my modified Butterick 5672 (posted about here). This time around, I used a novelty print (97% cotton/3% spandex) that was itching to be sewn. Honestly after seeing Gertie's Novelty Print Dress, I knew I wanted one. I did not want a dress along the style line of her dress, but a novelty print in a simple sheath. I scored when I randomly visited Fulton Fabrics one evening to kill some time until my guy finished work. Upon entering the store, I was immediately overwhelmed with the massive bolts clogging the store, it seems they'd recently stocked up on more fabric because the aisle was no more than a foot and a half wide if not less. It was insane how tight it was in there, I side walked midway into the store, then decided to leave and just as I did my half turn there was this fabric.
For this dress, I added 1" to front and back since the fabric was closer to a woven than a stretch fabric, as well as traced off the skirt pieces and added 1". Since I wanted a pleather skirt yoke, I cut 6" off from the waist of the skirt front and back, and used it to cut the pleather yoke. I was all full of righteous giggles as I worked on this dress and decided to add a lil interest to the neckline too. Smack dab in the middle of the neckline, I spliced it 3" down.
After all my righteous shenanigans... I proceeded to construct the dress which went together nicely. However, I should have given this project more thought in that by adding a skirt yoke, I failed to foresee that darts and pleather do not work well together. The waist darts do not lay as flat as I would like, despite cutting them open and ironing the heck out of them, but as the sewing mantra goes... make it work, and that I did.
The dress was constructed using my serger, I did not line this dress, for the sleeve hem I used stitch witchery and folded twice to the inside and final stitched. Here is a close up of the neckline where I did my lil fancy work of adding interest.... tadaa. Thankfully I tried the dress again before finishing the neckline because it was sitting a wee bit too much away from my neck and had to add darts. Finished the neckline using 1/4" clear elastic and folded to the inside and stitched.
For the skirt hemline I sewed lace and flipped to the inside and final stitched.
End result a playful sheath dress that I am looking forward to wearing my first full week back to work. On second thought, I may end up having to rock this dress with tights & boots, instead of sheer stockings and pumps, at the rate they are predicting snow. No matter, though, if the snow does come and stick around, this playful dress will be rocked with a blazer, tights & boots.
I really want a garment with pleather sleeves, but it's just not working for me. So I hacked off the pleather part of the sleeves and thought all was right with the world just having cap sleeves, umm nope. The hemline of the sleeve was looking weird and thankfully I had enough fabric left to cut another set of sleeves. So there you have it... an artsy dress that will also be worn to work. They can't call me conservative connie anymore...lol
So until my next creative spaz....
I wish all of YOU a Healthy, Successful and Happy New Year.