Frankenpattern Butterick 6166 & McCalls 7246
With the heat in full effect in the NYC, I wanted to wear something light and bright to celebrate the last of my b-day weekend. In come frankenpattern of:
Honestly, these two patterns came into play because I was being lazy. I just wanted to sew a dress and didn't want to go down to the fabric dungeon. In a perfect world, the right thing to do would've been to find a dress pattern that would work with my fabric yardage. But I didn't and since I was thirsty to just sew, I sifted through the several patterns I have clipped together in my sewing room, just waiting for when I just want to sew.
Purchased this ankara fabric from Fulton Fabrics in Bklyn. The fabric had a waxy coating, but after washing & drying the end result was a waxless light-weight cotton. With fabric yardage at a minimum, I had enough for the skirt portion (Version A), but not enough for the cross-over bodice of McCalls 7246. Used Butterick 6166 dress bodice by tracing off just the bodice section. Cut & basted the dress together and the dress was too big....uggh.
Being the dart-ista that I am, I darted and increased the seam allowances. The dress has 2 sets of bodice darts, back waist darts, bust darts, deepened the neckline, narrowed the upper armhole depth, 1" center back seam and for the side seams I took in an additional 1/4". I did have to do the zipper over twice, but I persevered and all of my nipping & tucking yield a perfect fit.
Since, I didn't line the dress, for the neckline and armholes, I used fold-over elastic to finish. The hemline was fused with heatn'bond... donedotcom.
The dress was a comfortable wear for the few hours that I had it on. The real wearability test will be when I wear it to work.
Until then, Have an